The full form of EIA 2020 is Environment Impact Assessment Draft 2020. EIA draft 2020 is one of the most discussed topics. Even though TV news channels didn’t discuss the topics, serious discussions are going on in social media. Is EIA draft 2020 really dangerous? Does the information you receive from these are real?
Here in this section, we check the fact in detail. We are going to analyze the earlier law and the changes put forward now. Then reach an intellectual decision.
WHAT IS EIA?
EIA is a process to check whether the developmental practices of our country affect the environment. Every large scale project will definitely have good sides and bad sides. So, before starting a project like this (mine, power plant, etc.) government needs to study in detail about its working. Currently, the Indian government has suggested some changes in it.
HISTORY OF EIA DRAFT
We all are familiar with the Bhopal tragedy in 1984, a large scale disaster. After this issue government started to consider the impact of large scale factories on the environment seriously. The government of India enacted the Environment Protection Act in 1986. EIA is a process under this project. It leads to a sustainable development of the country.
The existing processes under EIA were,
- Environmental Impact Assessment will be conducted by the government and the ministry of environment.
- Conduct a public hearing from neighborhood people after that the public will get a 30-day window to express their opinion.
- They will pass the document to the Expert appraisal committee.
- After study in detail, they may accept/ reject or give suggestions to make the project better.
- If accepted, then pass to the environment ministry and they give final approval.
We had discussed the existing processes of EIA. Let’s check the existing reality of this. We have several examples of Vizag gas leak, Assam well fire, etc. where the violations took place. and we lost the lives of many in these disasters. The multiple levels of checks include government and bureaucrats. Corruption in these systems is the main problem. So, even though we have a strong low, the enforcement of this is a big question mark.
FACTUAL CHECK OF EIA 2020-PROPOSED FACTS
Is EIA draft 2020 really dangerous? let’s check the proposed facts.
- Post facto clearance- now the clearance can take after starting the project.
- Less importance to public hearing is reduced to 20 days.
- Violation policy regarding- common people can’t file a complaint against a project.
- If a project labeled as Strategic projects/ B2 Category, there is no need for clearance.
- Many sectors will get special consideration.
- The limit for taking clearance increased from 20000 square meters to 1.5 lack square meter.
Is EIA Draft 2020 really dangerous? The logic of this draft is to make ease of starting a business. The working of government and bureaucrats is the major issue that causes a negative impact.
Earlier the rules were strict, but implementation was shit!
Now the rules are also going to be shit!